Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Mental Health Is a Continuous Journey: Reflections on a Career in Public Safety

Guest post by Lora Setter, LMCIT public safety program coordinator

Black and white headshot of a woman in a police uniform.
Lora Setter, 1986
I vividly remember one night tucking my young daughter (who’s now an adult) into her bed. As I leaned down to hug and kiss her, her head pressed against my chest, and she looked up at me with anxious eyes and said, “Mommy be careful.” When I hugged her, she felt the metal plate that was in front of my bulletproof vest. After putting her to bed, I was heading out the door to work the night shift as a police officer.

It made me sad that my baby girl went to bed worried that her mommy could get hurt and may not come home. As a parent I wanted to calm her fears and so I assured her I would be safe. Thankfully, I stayed true to my word. Sadly, we know that’s not true for everyone in public safety. A recent Star Tribune article sounded the alarm about “rising attacks on law enforcement.” This disturbing headline should concern anyone who values the role public safety plays in our communities.  

Another less publicized concern is the number of public safety people who die by their own hands from untreated mental illness. Many wounds suffered by public safety people are invisible. Even if they make it home physically, they may not come home mentally. We know that due to the nature of their job duties, public safety personnel are at increased risk of trauma-related mental illness, like depression, anxiety, substance abuse and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). 

Normalize the conversation around mental health

The first step in helping public safety people stay mentally well is to normalize the conversation. When I was an officer, those struggling on the job or at home didn’t talk about it openly out of fear of losing their job or the respect of their colleagues. Cops, firefighters, and other emergency personnel were expected to be tough and just “rub a little dirt on it.” We know now that isn’t the answer. 

Recently, three brave officers shared their stories of suffering and recovering from post-traumatic stress and co-occurring mental health challenges in a powerful video. The video also highlights a police chief who talks about the support he gave an officer who came forward revealing that he suffered from mental illness. The chief helped his officer get the treatment he needed, which eventually saved the officer’s career. We can prevent harm by creating cultures of openness and wellness, where public safety personnel are encouraged to talk about their struggles. 

June is PTSD Awareness Month

I’ve been collaborating with a cross-section of organizations over the past three years to bring awareness to the issue of public safety mental health, while promoting acceptance, prevention, and treatment. The three pillars of the MN Public Safety Wellness Initiative are Accept – Prevent – Treat. I’m pleased to report that we’ve seen brave leaders, individuals and departments leading this change in agencies across the state. 

June is PTSD Awareness month and June 27 is PTSD Awareness Day. It’s a time to shine a light on the issue of public safety mental health. But it’s important to remember that wellness is a continuous journey. It never stops. Public safety people are some of the most resilient people, but resiliency is not static. It’s a variable skill that needs constant attention and support.

Hope for the future

Woman standing next to flipchart while presenting at a conference.
Lora Setter, 2023
The physical and mental well-being of our public safety people should be of paramount concern for every community member. As I prepare to retire from my role in public safety wellness, my hope for the future is that every first responder has the support and care they need to stay well – so moms and dads who choose a career in the noble profession of public safety can confidently assure their children that they will be safe both physically and mentally.    


No comments: